The History of Fort Hancock ISD | Camp Rice

The History of Fort Hancock
Posted on 09/11/2020
Fort Hancock Main StreetFort Hancock is an unincorporated community and census-designated place (CDP) in Hudspeth County, Texas, United States. The population was 1,750 at the 2010 census.[3]

Fort Hancock is situated on the Mexico–United States border, across from El Porvenir, Chihuahua. The Fort Hancock–El Porvenir International Bridge connects the two communities, and the Fort Hancock Port of Entry is located on the Texas side.

Texas State Highway 20 and the Union Pacific Railroad run through the town.

History
Camp Rice and Fort Hancock
Fort Hancock began as a military establishment named Camp Rice in 1882, along the San Antonio-El Paso Road. Camp Rice had formerly been located at Fort Quitman, and had been established by troops of the 10th U.S. Cavalry "buffalo soldiers". Camp Rice did not grow after moving to this community, and rarely hosted more than 60 men. It was renamed Fort Hancock in 1886 after the death of General Winfield Scott Hancock, a hero of the Battle of Gettysburg. The fort was damaged in a flood that year, but rebuilt. It was damaged again by fires in 1889, then abandoned in 1895.[4] The remains of the old fort are located in a cotton field about 1.5 miles (2.4 km) west of present-day Fort Hancock.
" Fort Hancock ISD is an equal opportunity provider " © 2020 Fort Hancock Independent School District